When a regular screwdriver just doesn’t cut it, sometimes you have to grab a wrench and strike with a hammer to get it to fasten or unfasten a tough nut or a bolt.
That, however, often requires a lot of muscle power that can either tire you very quickly or lead to a wrist strain. Luckily, there’s a strong and comfortable power tool you can use for that same purpose: an impact driver.
But while they’re pretty powerful on their own, there’s not much they can do without a good set of driver bits. Moreover, impact driver bits determine the kind of jobs you can tackle!
We’ve created this guide to help you pick the best impact driver bits to complete your set, or get a whole new one if you still haven’t.
Best Overall Impact Driver Bit Set — DeWalt 40-Piece Screwdriver Bit Set
DeWalt is one of the leading power tool manufacturers out there, so it comes as no surprise that one of their products is heading our lists once again.
This time, we have the DeWalt DWA2T40IR Screwdriver Bit Set as the best overall impact driver bit set due to a combination of quality, useful features, and a good variety of pieces included.
The set comes with an impressive range of bit tips and sizes. It includes 40 of the most common pieces and styles that you’d need on a worksite, whether you’re a professional or a DIYer: socket adapters, nut drivers, and tips such as Phillips, slotted, Torx, hex, square, and more.
- Connectable accessory storage system to optimize storage space of the drill bits set
- Patented bit-bar design of DEWALT bit set allows easy removal of bits and customizable placement
- Clear lid of the driver bit set allows you to easily see contents at glance
- Clip latch for secure closing
- Small Bulk Storage size fits inside the Small and Medium ToughCase plus (sold separately) - Ideal for organizing loose bits
Each bit is made with high-speed steel for increased durability, and the tips are CNC-machined for cam-out reduction. They also feature an extended FlexTorq Zone that allows them to flex up to 15°, ensuring that they won’t break or crack under heavy use.
The bits come in a transparent, hard-shell box that features an anti-drop mechanism that keeps them tightly in place, drastically minimizing dropping.
ToTheeWalt DWA2T40IR Screwdriver Bit Set is quite affordable at $20 for its value to seal the deal. It even comes with a one-year warranty that will replace any bits that crack or break from regular use.
Runner-Up — Makita 50-Piece Impactx Driver Bit Set
Makita is another popular power tool manufacturer, and their Impactx Driver Bit Set is undeniably one of the best choices for a complete impact driver bit set.
It’s a bit more costly than the DeWalt set, but it has 50 pieces instead of 40.
Each precision-machined driver bit is made with special S2 steel that has been designed to perform under heavy use without cracking or breaking. Moreover, a heat treatment that provides some flexibility and an anti-corrosion protective coating ensures a long life.
- Precision machined tips with superior fitment for full contact fit and longer life
- Performance optimized S2 steel construction for extended life
- Calibrated heat treating process for added durability
- Manganese phosphate surface for advanced corrosion resistance
- Optimal geometry for an ideal fit and improved holding power
The bits in this set come in a carrying case with several rows of bit keeper slots that can rotate 90° for convenient bit storage and quick removal whenever you need to attach them to your impact driver.
The Makita A-98348 50 Pc Impactx Driver Bit Set also includes 5 strong magnetic bit holders, so you can easily recover your bits if they happen to fall from your driver into a nook or cranny.
Nothing is perfect, though, and this kit does have one downside: the #2 Phillips bits are slightly undersized and might fit a bit loosely in some impact drivers, which is not ideal.
But all in all, the Makita A-98348 50 Pc Impactx Driver Bit Set is one of the best impact driver bit sets because it’s affordable, durable, and quite complete.
Best Bosch Impact Driver Bit Set — Bosch 44-Piece Impact Screwdriving System Set
Bosch is another solid option, and the Bosch 44-Piece Impact Screwdriving System Set is the best impact driver bit set by this company.
With 44 impact-rated pieces in total, most of which are individual bits rather than accessories, you get a very complete kit that can last you for many years of intensive use.
Each bit tip is CNC-machined to increase precision and ensure a very tight fit, significantly reducing cam-out. What’s more, each bit has been engineered with an Xtended Torsion Zone that absorbs torque peaks from today’s impact drivers to increase the bits’ life.
- IMPACT RATED: Featuring the Bosch Impact Tough bit design so the screwdriving bits are impact rated and provide 10X longer bit life than standard impact bits.
- Tough: Featuring an Xtended Torsion Zone, these impact tough bits are an impact rated line of screw driving bits, double ended bits, nutsetters, sockets and bit holders that have been enhanced to handle a new generation of higher torque impact drivers
- PRECISION: These impact bits feature engineered tips for a tighter fit and less CAM out
- Accessible : The included customizable case is designed to be the most straightforward approach to bit organization; The SDMS24 case is durable, and uniquely designed with a tilt in tilt out case mechanism allowing easier access to the bit you need
- DURABLE: The portable case includes rubber bumpers to provide durability and a secure latch ensures security while bringing along from job site to job site.
The bits are also designed with a silver sleeve and laser markings for increased visibility if you happen to drop them, and easier size identification.
What makes this set an interesting option for professionals and DIYers alike, is that the durable case the bits come in is fully customizable. You can arrange the bits and clips in the way that’s most convenient for you, even choosing to leave at home the rows of bits you’re not going to need at your job site.
The case has a unique mechanism that makes accessing the bit you need much easier than it is with other cases. It also has rubber bumpers to increase the durability of the case and a secure latch so it doesn’t accidentally open.
On the downside, you’ll find that some of the bit clips can be tricky to fit into the case and that the bits might wear out quicker than expected.
Best Craftsman Impact Driver Bit Set — CRAFTSMAN 33-Piece Drill/Driver Set
Even though this Craftman’s set is a bit more expensive and has fewer pieces than the Bosch’s, it has more accessories and some interesting features that make it one of the best impact driver bit sets out there.
The shock-resistant steel of the bits ensures maximum durability and reliable performance under heavy-duty tasks, and the CNC-machined tips offer a tight fit for cam-out reduction and increased lifespan.
Thanks to the Optimized Torsion Zone, you can confidently use these bits with your impact driver without worrying about breaking them.
- Optimized torsion zone delivers improved performance
- Constructed with S2 modified steel for maximum durability
- Cnc-machined bit tip ensures precise fit in Screw heads reducing opportunity for cam-out
- Compatible with the versa-track portable storage system
- (21) 1-in bit tips: PH1 (2), PH2 (3), PH3 (2), SQ1 (2), SQ2 (3), SQ3 (2), SL 6-8 (1), SL 8-10 (2), SL 10-12 (2), SL 10-12 (2) and T25 (1). (7) 2-in power bits: PH2 (3), SQ2 (2), T20 (1) and T25 (1). (1) socket adapter: 3/8-in (1). (3) nut drivers: 1/4 (1), 5/16 (1) and 3/8-in (1). (1) 3-in magnetic bit tip holder.
The set comes in a compact storage case that includes 21 bit tips, 7 power bits, a socket adapter, and a magnetic tip holder. It also comes with 3 nut drivers, which might not be enough for some.
Best Premium Impact Driver Bit Set — Steelman Pro 50-Piece Impact Driver Bit Set
If you’re a professional handyman or an enthusiastic DIYer who’s looking to make the best out of their impact driver, and you’re not afraid of investing your money on good equipment, then this premium set is the best impact driver bit set for you.
Even though it can be rather expensive at a bit over $80, it certainly has everything you might need for your impact driver. Among the 50 pieces it comes with, this set includes hex, Phillips, Torx, and socket bits, 4 bit holders, and 5 socket adapters.
Each piece is made with impact-grade steel and heat-treated, so you can rest assured about their long-term durability. The name and size of the bit are laser-etched on the side of the bit for easier and quicker identification.
- 50-PIECE SET - Set of 50 impact grade, quick-release shank bits with a wide variety of lengths and drive types
- HEAT-TREATED STEEL - Bits are made of industrial grade steel that's been heat treated for optimal torsional performance
- 20 HEX BITS - H4, H5, H5.5, H6, H8, HB4, HB5, HB5.5, HB6, HB8, H5/32, H3/16, H7/32, H1/4, H5/16, HB5/32, HB3/16, HB7/32, HB1/4, and HB5/16
- ADDITIONAL BITS - Two 2.5-inch PH2 and PH3, two 5-inch PH2, 2.5-inch slotted bit, 2.5-inch T10, T15, T20, T25, T27, T30, and T40, 5-inch T25, T27, T30, and T40, and 1/4, 5/16, and 3/8-inch socket drivers
- 5 SOCKET ADAPTERS - Set includes 5 socket adapters: 1/4-inch x 2.5-inch, 3/8-inch x 2.5-inch, 1/2-inch x 2-inch, 1/4-inch x 6-inch, and 3/8-inch x 6-inch
The pieces come in a heavy-duty carrying case for secure storage, and each one has a very convenient designated holding space for easy bit removal.
All in all, even though the greatest disadvantage of the Steelman Pro 50-Piece Impact Driver Bit Set is its price, it offers versatility like no other set, making it a fantastic option for professional construction workers or contractors.
Best Small Impact Driver Bit Sets
If you only need a specific type of driver bits, or if you don’t really want to spend a lot of money on bits you’re not even going to use, then you’ll surely find the right set for you in the following section.
They have been ordered starting from the cheapest pack, but with the least amount of pieces.
Best Slotted/Phillips Impact Driver Bits — DEWALT #2 Phillips 5-Piece Power Bit
Once again, we have DeWalt at the top. The DEWALT DW2115 #2 Phillips Power Bit is a pack that includes 5 #2 Phillips bits.
These impact-resistant bits have a hardened core that adds extra strength required to withstand the impact driver’s high torque.
They’re also extremely durable thanks to the shock-resistant steel they’re made of and are heat-treated to last a very long time without breaking or wearing out.
- Shock-resistant steel for maximum durability
- Hardened core for extra strength and long life
- Heat-treated to resist breakage and wear
BOSCH 2# Phillips 15-Piece Power Bits
You can get 10 more pieces in the Bosch #2 Phillips Power Bits Pack for a few extra bucks.
Each bit tip is CNC-machined to significantly reduce cam-out by increasing precision and ensuring a very tight fit. The bits are engineered in a way to boost their strength and reduce the possibility of fracture while performing heavy-duty tasks. This is possible thanks to the combination of a hardened core, heat-treatment, and the Xtended Torsion Zone that absorbs the impact from the driver.
The Phillips #2 Power Bits have a silver sleeve and laser markings on the side for better visibility whether they’re in a case or on the ground, and easier and quicker identification.
- 10x life over standard impact bits
- Xtended torsion zone helps to absorb high-torque of new impact drivers
- Precision-engineered tips for a tighter fit and less CAM out
- Heat-treated manufacturing for stronger bit
- High-visibility sleeve with laser-etched markings for user convenience
Best Hex Insert or Allen Drivers Impact Driver Bits — IRWIN Tools 8-Piece Impact Driver Bit Set
This IRWIN pack includes 8 pieces that are designed to work with impact drivers while ensuring maximum durability and long life. Manufactured with heavy-duty, cold-forged, high-grade steel, they’re made to withstand extremely high torque output without risk of cracking and breaking.
The black oxide coating offers protection against corrosion, increasing its durability even more.
The precise geometry of the bit tip ensures a tight and precise fit with a reduced risk of stripping and cam-out.
- Built for maximum durability and long life with impact drivers
- Precision tip geometry delivers superior fitment, reducing stripping and cam-out
- Manufactured with heavy-duty, cold-forged, high-grade steel to withstand high torque output
- Black oxide finish resists corrosion and increases life of bit
- 1/4" quick-change shank is designed to work with impact drivers, and reduces slipping in standard drill chucks
Impact Driver Bits Buying Guide
If you’re wondering how you can figure out which are the best impact driver bits for you, then there are several factors you should take into account before making a decision.
Variety of Driver Bits
As you’ve probably seen, there are many, MANY, options available when it comes to the variety of driver bits. You can find from 5-piece packs to 50-piece sets (and even 300-piece sets!). However, the more pieces a kit has, the more expensive it is, and there are some bits you might never need to use unless you’re a professional construction worker or contractor.
It all goes down on what you need the impact driver set for. If you need to tackle some basic home repairs, you probably won’t need more than 20 bits. But if you use your impact driver often, it can be a good idea to have an unrestrained and complete set of driver bits. In this case, the best option would be a case that matches your budget and offers a little of everything.
Another possible scenario is that you might need to update your existing bits or replace a few that have worn down or broken, and in that case, you’d do better with a smaller pack of the specific driver bit type you need.
To make it short, take a look at what the different options have to offer and pick the one that best suits your needs. Make sure that the set or pack has everything you need, and maybe a few extra bits that could come in handy for future projects.
The right bits for your impact driver should be engineered to withstand the high torque output of the tool. Otherwise, they’ll likely break or wear out so fast you might find yourself replacing them too often for your liking. Durability is not a feature to skimp on.
Typically, impact driver bits are made from some kind of durable steel such as high strength steel, or S2 steel, which are some of the best materials out there. Carbon steel is another common driver bit material, but it doesn’t last as long as the other two.
Durability is highly impacted by the frequency with which you use the bits, so anything that increases that durability is a great advantage. Heat treatments, steel cores, non-corrosive coatings are some of the features you can find in bits that prolong their life.
Accessories can definitely make your life easier, but they’re not necessarily a deal-breaker. Most impact driver bit sets include several accessories such as nut drivers or magnetic extension tips. The latter is particularly useful when working in tight spaces because they’ll hold the bit in place, preventing it from falling into nooks or crannies that are hard to reach.
The organization is crucial when working with power tools to get good results and avoid accidents. Using the wrong bit on your impact driver can lead to damaging your workpiece or even to a dangerous injury.
Sets that come with numerous pieces, in particular, should have the proper slots and labels for bits of different sizes so that you can pick exactly the one you need.
Luckily, most impact driver bit sets come in a durable case that’s great for organization and storage. This way you won’t have to fish out the bit you need from a bag full of other bits, and you can easily carry them all from job site to job site.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does CNC stand for?
CNC machining in the manufacturing process of the driver bits refers to the process through which a pre-programmed computer software dictates the movements of factory tools to meet the required specifications of the piece. This ensures a high degree of accuracy in the geometrical shape of the impact drive bit tip, which at the same time, prevents cam-out.
If I use a DeWalt impact driver, do I need to get Dewalt sets?
All impact driver sets, and especially the ones mentioned in this guide, are compatible with and should work well with all impact drivers regardless of the brand.
The DeWalt 40-Piece Screwdriver Bit Set is definitely the best impact driver bit set because it includes a variety of 40 pieces of the best quality at an affordable price.
If that’s not exactly what you’re looking for, we’ve rounded the best bits from some of the most popular manufacturers so you can be confident you’re choosing reliable pieces. If you’re still unsure about which option you should pick, just take a look at our Buyer’s Guide!